Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Day in the Atlanta Airport

Two weeks ago I decided to go with my family on a mission trip with other families from my church. The trip was to Tulsa, Oklahoma. My brother Sam couldn't go, so there were just 7 of us trying to make it out, flying standby. There were 6 spots on the first flight so I stayed behind. After they all got on the 8am flight my day at the Atlanta airport began. During the course of the day I went for concourse D to A to C to D to A!! Lets just say I really know my way around the airport now!

During the day planes kept leaving full! At first it wasn't too bad, because I was able to read (Stepping Heavenward) & journal! I met 2 guys from Louisiana (Bret & Noah) who were also trying to make it to Tulsa. After each flight left we would make our way to yet another concourse! The second time were were at D they changed the gate 3 times!!! Oh the bliss! At concourse A we decided to walk around and find something to do... no more sitting.

Before we found anything adventurous to do I stopped in the restroom. My cell phone was in my skirt pocket, so I took it out and set it on the little ledge. Well... I didn't pick it back up! By the time I met back up with the guys, down the concourse, I'd already remember my phone, so I headed back in to find it! It was already gone! Someone had stolen it and turned it off! :( At first I was in denial... "Oh someone will turn it in!" Noah quickly stepped in with a dose of reality... "Don't get your hopes up... you'd be surprised... people you'd never expect will steal if no one is watching!" Yep, and now my phone is gone!

At this point we found out that the 4:30 flight had been canceled (due to weather). I used the guys phones to reach my family. I gave up on trying to make it out of the airport that day. I was walking down the concourse pulling a bag, carrying a bag, talkin' on the phone, and trying to write numbers down (b/c I needed someone to come pick me up). I finally got in touch with my cousins (Katie & Amy)! I really don't know how we lived without cell phones for so long! I only know my parents & my brother's numbers... no one else! Amy was so sweet to come and pick me up! In all I spent at least 8 hours at the airport.

P.S. if you haven't called me in the last 2 weeks, then I don't have your number!

No comments: